The fiddler who fiddles with this blog

My photo
Selinsgrove, PA, United States
Beverley Conrad is a writer, musician, and artist who lives in central Pennsylvania. She's played the fiddle most of her life and has published books and once went on a book tour with her dog. She's currently working on a series of one hundred works of art of a dead fly to see where it goes, how it progresses.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

"What's wrong with my bow!"

Question:  “There’s something wrong with my bow! I need a new one! This week when I practiced I sounded awful, all scratchy and weird! I even tried playing with my other bow and it sounded bad, too. Why would both bows go bad?”

Answer:  When a student comes in with a problem like this the first thing I do is play something using their fiddle and bow and see if I have the same problem. So I tried her bow on her fiddle. It sounded fine. I tried the other one. It worked all right, too. Then Elaine told me she had been to the doctor for TMJ - pain in her jaw. Aha! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: any tension in your jaw will work it’s way to your shoulder, down your arm and into your fingers. I had Elaine consciously relax her jaw which she had been tensing up on account of the jaw pain. Voila! Her “bad bows” immediately fixed themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, offer your own tips and ask questions about playing the fiddle!