The fiddler who fiddles with this blog

My photo
Selinsgrove, PA, United States
Beverley Conrad is a writer, musician, and artist who lives in central Pennsylvania. She's played the fiddle most of her life and has published books and once went on a book tour with her dog. She's currently working on a series of one hundred works of art of a dead fly to see where it goes, how it progresses.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Question: New Strings for my Fiddle?

A woman wrote to me and and asked:
Q:  I am getting ready to buy new strings for my fiddle which ones would you recommend? I usually use Dominant for the G,D & A and the E string is Gold Label.

A:  I've tried a lot of different strings. The one kind I don't use are the Dominant ones you mention. I don't use those because they take too long to break in (to lose the harsh tone and stay in tune) and then about the time they finally settle in, they're dead and don't sound good anymore. They also have a surface that doesn't work well if you like to occasionally or frequently slide on a note. I don't think they work well with fine tuners either.
     I have Super Sensitive Red on my outdoor fiddle because they're sturdy and stable and loud. I need that for outdoor gigs. But on my good fiddle, played indoors and out, I use Corelli Alliance Vivace - medium tension. They have a synthetic core but hold their tuning well and break in fairly quickly. I try different strings all the time but now only try those that offer a warm tone, have a medium tension and have a smooth winding. I'm not crazy about aluminum windings because they don't let you slide (bend notes) very well and with the style of fiddle that I play, I slide a lot. I have used Helicore and liked those but prefer a more buttery, warmer sound now. I loved Obligatos! But they price is sky high and they way I go through strings, I couldn't afford them anymore. Oh, well.
     As far as E, I stick with a gold one - less tendency to rust and get corroded. Forget gut strings unless you're a re-enactor into authentic sounding music.. They just don't hold their tuning. When I was a kid - that's all we had. Tried them once as an adult and hated them. Corella's and Obligatos sound much like gut in my opinion. Hope this helps you - I do buy strings from Woodwind and Brasswind - Strings division.  This is the link to their website:  http://www.wwbw.com/ They have a very wide selection and good prices. Just don't order anything from them that is not currently in stock and ready to ship or you end up waiting forever for it (my experience with them.) Other than that, it's a great place to buy music stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, offer your own tips and ask questions about playing the fiddle!